Florajen Probiotics provide the right cell strains at the right cell counts.
Approximately 100 trillion microorganisms representing 500+ different species inhabit every normal, healthy bowel.
- Lactobacillus acidophilus: The same (dairy-free) strain used by most yogurt companies in the United States since 1973. Beneficial for overall intestinal health and, by producing trace amounts of hydrogen peroxide, helps to regulate the digestive and vaginal environments.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus: One of the most widely used probiotic strains. Often given to help prevent and ease gastrointestinal infections and diarrhea, to stimulate immune responses, and to prevent certain allergic symptoms.1
- Bifidobacterium: Produces short chain fatty acids, a critical component in making the intestinal lining healthy. Additionally reported to have anti-allergy effects, to help reduce harmful bacteria, and to improve the intestinal environment.2 Also believed to help the immune system develop appropriately in children. Studies have found a lack of Bifidobacteria in children with food allergies.3
Common Uses for Lactobacillus and/or Bifidobacterium
- Helps ease the unpleasant side effects of antibiotics*
- Restores the natural balance of good bacteria*
- Has multiple strains of beneficial bacteria*
- Naturally regulates the digestive system*
- Provides increased levels of healthy bacteria*
- Helps restore and maintain the natural balance of vaginal flora*
- Helps healthy vaginal pH*
- Supports a balanced digestive system*
- Supports kids’ immune health *
- Helps maintain regularity in the digestive system*
- Supports immune, digestive, vaginal, and urinary health*
- Provides billions of beneficial bacteria for overall health *
Find Florajen Probiotics refrigerated behind the pharmacy counter (just ask), or online.
Find the Florajen that’s right for you!
Multiculture blend of probiotic strains that aid in the healthy functioning of the digestive tract.*
Multiculture blend of probiotic strains that aid in maintaining the healthy balance of vaginal flora.*
Multiculture blend of probiotic strains beneficial for digestive and immune health in kids starting at 6 months of age.*
An extra high potency, single culture probiotic that can be helpful in maintaining everyday health.*
- Segers ME, Lebeer S. Towards a better understanding of Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG – host interactions. Microbial Cell Factories. 2014;13(Suppl 1):S7. doi:10.1186/1475-2859-13-S1-S7. [LINK https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4155824/ ]
- Sugahara H, et al. Probiotic Bifidobacterium longum alters gut luminal metabolism through modification of the gut microbial community. Scientific Reports 5, Article number: 13548 (2015) [LINK http://www.nature.com/articles/srep13548 ]
- Kirjavaninen et al. Aberrant composition of gut microbiota of allergic infants. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2001;32;1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1773282/
Bjorksten et al. The intestinal microflora in allergic Estonian and Swedish infants. Clin Exp Allergy. 1999;29:342.
- McFarland LV. Epidemiology, risk factors and treatments for antibiotic-associated diarrhea. Dig Dis. 1998;16(5):292-307
- Waigankar SS, Patel V. Role of probiotics in urogenital healthcare. Journal of Mid-Life Health. 2011;2(1):5-10. doi:10.4103/0976-7800.83253.
Vásquez A, Jakobsson T, Ahrné S, Forsum U, Molin G. Vaginal Lactobacillus Flora of Healthy Swedish Women. Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 2002;40(8):2746-2749. doi:10.1128/JCM.40.8.2746-2749.2002.
- Wright JJ, Paauw DP. Complications of Antibiotic Therapy. Medical Clinics of North America; July 2013, 97(4): 667–679.
- Vanderhoof J.A., et al . Lactobacillus GG in the prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea in children. J Pediatr. 1999;135(5):564-568.
- “9 Ways Lactobacillus Acidophilus Can Benefit Your Health.” Healthline, Healthline Media, healthline.com/nutrition/lactobacillus-acidophilus.
- Probiotics, What’s the Bottom Line. National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, National Institutes of Health website. Accessed April 2, 2017 https://nccih.nih.gov/sites/nccam.nih.gov/files/Probiotics_07-01-2015.pdf
- Kim SE, et al. Change of Fecal Flora and Effectiveness of the Short-term VSL#3 Probiotic Treatment in Patients With Functional Constipation. Constipation Research group of Korean Society of Neurogastroenterology and Motility. J Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2015 Jan 1;21(1):111-20. doi: 10.5056/jnm14048. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25537674
- Probiotics May Ease Constipation. Harvard Health Publications, Harvard Medical School website. Accessed April 4, 2017 http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/probiotics-may-ease-constipation-201408217377
- Dimidi E, et al. The effect of probiotics on functional constipation in adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. August 6, 2014, doi:3945/ajcn.114.089151 http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2014/08/06/ajcn.114.089151.abstract
- Khalif IL, et al. Alterations in the colonic flora and intestinal permeability and evidence of immune activation in chronic constipation. Dig Liver Dis. 2005 Nov; 37(11):838-49. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16169298
Barbara G, et al. Interactions between commensal bacteria and gut sensorimotor function in health and disease. Am J Gastroenterol.2005 Nov;100(11):2560-8. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16279914
- Miller LE, Ouwehand AC. Probiotic supplementation decreases intestinal transit time: meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. World J Gastroenterol. 2013 Aug 7; 19(29):4718-25. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23922468
- Cha BK, et al. The effect of a multispecies probiotic mixture on the symptoms and fecal microbiota in diarrhea-dominant irritable bowel syndrome: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2012;46:220–227. doi: 10.1097/MCG.0b013e31823712b1.
Whorwell PJ, Altringer L, Morel J, et al. Efficacy of an encapsulated probiotic Bifidobacterium infantis 35624 in women with irritable bowel syndrome. Am J Gastroenterol. 2006;101:1581–1590. doi: 10.1111/j.1572-0241.2006.00734.x.
- MedlinePlus, U.S. National Library of Medicine website. Accessed April 4, 2017 https://medlineplus.gov/diarrhea.html
- Using Probiotics for Diarrhea. WebMD website. Accessed April 4, 2017 http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/probiotics-diarrhea#1
- McFarland LV. Meta-analysis of probiotics for the prevention of traveler’s diarrhea. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2007 Mar;5(2):97-105.
Traveler’s Diarrhea. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Accessed March 31, 2017. https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2016/the-pre-travel-consultation/travelers-diarrhea
- How to Prevent Diarrhea While You Take Antibiotics. Cleveland Clinic website. Accessed April 4, 2017 https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2015/04/how-to-prevent-diarrhea-while-you-take-antibiotics/
- Infectious diarrhea: Can probiotics help against diarrhea? PubMed Health, U.S. National Library of Medicine website. Accessed April 4, 2017. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0088733/
- Based on market survey conducted by American Lifeline December 2016.
- Could Probiotics Help Alleviate your Functional Gastrointestinal Symptoms? International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestional Disorders website. Accessed April 4, 2017. https://www.iffgd.org/diet-treatments/could-probiotics-help-your-symptoms.html
- Kim HJ, et al. A randomized controlled trial of a probiotic, VSL#3, on gut transit and symptoms in diarrhoea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome. Aliment Pharmacol Ther (2003)17: 895–904. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12656692
- Kim HJ, et al. A randomized controlled trial of a probiotic combination VSL# 3 and placebo in irritable bowel syndrome with bloating. Neurogastroenterol Motil (2005)17: 687–696. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16185307
- Supplements for IBS: What Works? WebMD website. Accessed April 4, 2017 http://www.webmd.com/ibs/features/supplements-for-ibs-what-works#1
- Bloating 101: Why You Feel Bloated. WebMD website. Accessed April 4, 2017 http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/diarrhea-10/bloated-bloating
- Health benefits of taking probiotics. Harvard Health Publications, Harvard Medical School website. Accessed March 31, 2017. http://www.health.harvard.edu/vitamins-and-supplements/health-benefits-of-taking-probiotics
- Survey of full-time U.S. pharmacists who stock Florajen, by DMD Healthcare Research, December 2015.