Most adults in the U.S. will experience diarrhea about once each year, children tend to experience it twice a year.16
Potential causes of diarrhea include:
- Eating foods or drinking beverages contaminated with bacteria (this is especially common among travelers and is called traveler’s diarrhea)
- Exposure to viruses like Rotovirus (common in children)
- Diseases/conditions that affect the gastrointestinal system (such as Crohn’s disease and irritable bowel syndrome)
- Reactions to or side effects of medications like antibiotics
- Eating certain foods, especially if you are intolerant or sensitive to them
To help prevent diarrhea:
- Sip fluids often (water, caffeine-free soda, broth without fat, tea with honey, or sports/rehydration drinks)
- Eat soft, bland foods like rice, toast, crackers, or chicken
- Avoid dairy, caffeine, and grease
The Role of Probiotics
Millions of friendly bacteria live in the human gastrointestinal system and play critical roles in digestion, immunity, and more.
Diarrhea, however, can throw off “friendly” microorganisms’ normal balance. To support them in getting back on track, there are supplemental doses of helpful bacteria17 in over-the-counter probiotics, like Florajen Probiotics.
Probiotics can be especially useful for children’s diarrhea,17 traveler’s diarrhea,18 and antibiotic-associated diarrhea19 — aiding in prevention and in making diarrhea go away faster, usually with no side effects.20
Learn more about the powerful probiotic strains in Florajen that are commonly used to help ease conditions like diarrhea due to antibiotics, traveling, poor digestion, Crohn’s disease, ulcerative colitis, irritable bowel syndrome, and more.
Florajen Probiotics help restore good flora and maintain the natural microbial balance the body needs with: