Pop quiz: What are the eight primary (or “major”) allergens responsible for up to 90% of allergic reactions to food?
According to the FDA they are:
- Fish (bass, cod, flounder and others)
- Crustacean shellfish (such as shrimp, crab and lobster)
- Tree nuts (including almonds, cashews, pecans, pine nuts, and walnuts)
- Wheat, and
- Soybeans (found in tofu, edamame, miso, and tempeh and also often used in energy bars, low-fat peanut butter, crackers, baked goods, and more)
The Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE) nonprofit reports that:
- Up to 15 million Americans have food allergies, including 5.9 million children under age 18 (about 1 in every 13 children.)
- Food allergies in children increased by 50% between the years of 1997 and 2011.
So, if you’re one of the millions of Americans with a food allergy, or caring for a loved one with a food allergy, you’re rightly attuned to anything and everything that could contain an unwanted allergen. Which is why the makers of Florajen want you to know what’s NOT in our products.
Florajen’s family of probiotics DO NOT contain any of the eight primary allergens (the “Big 8” listed above). This means Florajen probiotics are free of milk (dairy), eggs, fish, shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soy.
You should also know that Florajen Probiotics ARE gluten-free. Which is important because we know that, according to the Celiac Disease Foundation, 30% of Americans are choosing a gluten-free diet, about 1% have Celiac Disease, and about 0.4% have a diagnosed wheat-allergy. Additionally, the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness, reports that as many as 18 million Americans have some non-Celiac gluten sensitivity.
A Word About Our Manufacturing Facilities
Many manufacturing facilities produce items for more than one company or brand. That’s totally normal. To control for potential allergen crossover, Florajen has strict measures in place at all levels of production that require cleaning processes to be validated by third parties. We also require audits and testing to make sure that no residual amounts of any unintended ingredients can be detected in Florajen finished products. Our testing looks for the eight major allergens and our cleaning processes are thorough. While it is not possible to completely rule out individual reactions, we are confident in our validated cleaning procedures.
The quick answer: Florajen products only contain what is listed on the label. We are gluten-free, dairy-free, allergen-free, non-GMO, and free of colors and preservatives.
Thanks for choosing us!